I've just been reading the Internet debate regarding the death of the News of the World. Now, quite frankly, I really don't give a shit about whether the News of the World has closed or not. I rarely read it and I don't think its made either a cultural or intellectual contribution to English (er, I mean UK) society. However, what I am do want to comment on (and, it is a soap box subject of mine) is the way Journalists have started to rally around in defence of their NotW "colleagues". The BBC website is full of talk about what a sad day for journalism it is, Henry Winter is commenting on Twitter about how he never misses reading the articles of a clutch of NotW reporters. No doubt there will be more journalists taking up column inches going on about it.
My beef is that whenever news about the media or journalists happens, they become totally self absorbed and self obsessed. Its as if the whole world wants to know about what's happening to them and how terrible their lot is.
I give you exhibit A, BBC News Headlines tonight. Apparently today was the most momentous day in all the history of the media!
Journlists of all persuasions; Get over yourselves. Few of us care!
I should have said, I hate Journalists. What reminded me was hearing that Andrew Gilligan was about to come on my tele!
ReplyDelete